This website (legal notice) uses cookies. Cookies are important for the correct functioning of a website. Some of these cookies are technically essential to ensure the functionality of the website. In addition, we use some cookies to help us improve this website and your experience. If you click on "I agree", both the technically necessary cookies and the cookies for information on user behaviour are stored. However, if you click on "refuse", we only save the technically necessary cookies. Further information can be found on our data protection page.

For Applicants Arrival and Accomodation

Arrival and Accommodation

NEW: Approx. 15 rooms close to the city center as of April

All rooms are located between the train station and the Higher Regional Court and between the canal and the Liebfrauenkirche/Alleestraße.

The apartments are furnished and cost incl. utilities depending on location and size between 330€ and 375€. There are WG's of 2-5 persons. All apartments have a kitchen-living room, a washing machine, a bathroom and a hallway for common use. Wifi is mostly self-organized, the provider o2 offers here quite cheap monthly contracts for students, about 20-25€ depending on performance, which the students can then also share.

The vacant rooms will soon be available at


Before your arrival, you will need to apply for your German visa. Detailed information about visas for Germany can be found on the website of the German Federal Foreign Office.

The visa procedure can take eight to twelve weeks, especially if you are applying for the winter semester. We therefore recommend applying for your visa as soon as you got your letter of pre-admission from SRH University of Applied Sciences in North Rhine-Westphalia.

  • If you are an EU-citizen of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, you do not need a visa. You only need a valid personal ID card or passport.
  • If you are a citizen of one of the following countries and you wish to stay longer than 90 days in Germany, you can obtain a visa after you arrival. This applies to the following countries: Andorra, Australia, Canada, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, San Marino, South Korea, and the United States of America.
  • For all other nationalities, we recommend applying for an entry visa in your home country before your arrival.

As there are several types of visa, please make sure to apply for a student visa. Please do not apply for a tourist visa, as you would not be allowed to study in Germany on a tourist visa. A tourist visa cannot be converted to a student visa.

A student visa is generally issued for a three-month period. After your arrival and your enrolment at SRH University of Applied Sciences Hamm, you will have to apply for an extended residence permit at the Immigration Office in your town of residence (e.g. Hamm, Dortmund, Unna, Kamen, etc).  

You will be asked to present the following documents:


  • Proof of financial resources: international students must prove that they have enough money for the regular study course at their disposal (24 x 770 Euros/month + 750 Euro before starting studies). Proof of financial resources can be provided in various ways. In some cases, the German embassy or consulate requires a specified amount to be paid into a blocked access bank account (Deutsche Bank) so as to ensure financial security for the initial period of the applicant’s stay in Germany.
  • Certificate confirming health insurance
  • Certificate of past academic work and achievements: Please make sure to write a convincing motivation letter on why your study at SRH University of Applied Sciences in North Rhine-Westphalia is important for your career.
  • Certificate of German language proficiency (Exception: international programs taught in English)
  • Notification of admission from SRH University o.A.S. Hamm (“Final admission letter”)

Travelling to Germany

If you are planning to travel to Germany by plane, we recommend choosing Frankfurt Airport (FRA) or Düsseldorf Airport (DUS) as a destination. There is a very good train connection to Hamm Westfalen Hbf from these airports. In Germany, the 'Deutsche Bahn' (DB) is the biggest rail provider. If you are travelling with the DB from Düsseldorf Airport, there is a direct train connection to Hamm Westfalen (duration approx.: 85 minutes). Starting your journey from Frankfurt Airport, you have several options to choose from. But please note that you will have to change the train at least once (duration approx.: 240 minutes). Another option to travel to Hamm City is via a private shuttle service.

Before getting on a train to Hamm, please make sure to have a valid ticket.

There is generally no opportunity to buy a ticket on the train. You can purchase a train ticket by either using an automatic ticket machine at the train station or buying it online before your arrival. You can save the train ticket as an online ticket (PDF) on your mobile device, load it into the DB Navigator app or take it with you on your journey as a printout.

You can choose between a regional train called 'RE' or a long-distance, intercity express train called 'IC' or 'ICE'.

Please find more information on all booking options of the Deutsche Bahn, including payment methods, ticket exchanges and refunds as well as your passenger rights here.

The university of Applied Sciences has several partners offering furnished accommodation. Prices are between 240,00 € (p.p. in a double room in double occupancy) to about 380,00 € for a large single room. There are also website to look at for private accommodation. Information about both options will be sent to you after we received your signed contract.

This chart gives a general overview of the costs of living in Hamm. Please note that these are very rough estimates.

Accommodation: Your accommodation can cost around 250 to 380 Euros per month, depending upon the single or double occupancy. New accomodation concept - Please click here

Health insurance: Health insurance can cost around 90 Euros per month.

Food and other expenses: As Hamm is a relatively inexpensive city to live in, you need to set aside another 250 to 300 Euros for food and other expenses.

Since you will be receiving the semester travel ticket, study related conveyance will be free. The ticket is valid for free travel in the state of North Rhine Westphalia for using regional trains and buses during the course.

Depending on your individual life style and needs, you may need a minimum of about 700 to 750 Euros per month.